Butterfly's Birthday

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday 27 September 2012

My Yom Kippur), meds (and other stuff?)

Didn't mean on my last post to celebrate how wonderful Butterfly is (though of course she is!), more to say how wonderful the age she is in, but oh well.... But I will add this little story from today.. She was nursing and wanted to change sides. I was too lazy and comfortable so was kind of reluctant. So Butterfly, giving her professional opinion says - not good! She cracked me!

Yom Kippur.. was acutally quiet a good one.I didn't fast (and when telling my sister [#1, who by the way does not fast] that I'm not because of taking care of Butterfly and all she gave me such a look.but who cares. I do generally fast, maybe next year I'll feel up to it, or not eat but allow myself a bit of water [because there is something about fasting that adds to the purity of the day].
I stayed the night at my father's as I was planning on cycling the next day to a friend and he lives midway. My father living in the house I grew up in. So we went to shul (synagogue) together. I ususally do go there for the Yom Kippur service as I don't like the nearby shul (and most others here are not of my, stream lets call it). It is important for me to let Butterfly in on her faith and customs. I am not a believer in god but I do believe in tradition and in teaching my daughter the tradition of her people. Surprisingly  we were early and had to wait for tht service to start. But once it started, Butterfly was not a happy girl, and the woman next to me, oh that deserves an astrix*. Anyway we went out with all the crowd (mainly kids, those with kids) and had a nice time (hmm not including the one time she got really lost, but might I say clever her went to look for me inside [crying, of course, while I was searching outside. from them everytime she went beyond a few steps I had to get up and follow, which meant almost as soon as I'd find somewhere nice to sit....). I briefly encountered someone who I went to elementary school with! (I don't think I have seen him since then..) Unfortunately I couldn't really talk to him as Butterfly was trying to get lost again.. I tried looking him up on FB, but how do I know which one is he (or even if he has a FB account). I think I'll try and do some investigating in the next few days and then sen all the possible Y a note asking if he was the guy I talked to on Yom Kippur, lol.
Next morning I cycled with Butterfly over to this friend for breakfast (see the none fasting part above..). Had a nice morning together and then cycled home. Home being mostly down hill (yay..). And at one point I was riding with a little one sleeping behind!! [of course she woke up when I brought the bike in and took ages to get back to sleep..].
She had quiet a long nap. When waking we went to the local shul to hear the Shofar. Okay I am very disappointed with this shul, besides not the tunes I know and love the seperation between men and women [one thing I would most certainly change, with all my love to tradition and all,  is the fact that men and woman are seperated!] was such that women could really see nothing. If we had a guy with us, I could have sent her to the male part to see and not only hear, being a single mother I couldn't of course.. As that was not the only thing I didn't like, I think next year I'll either stay the whole day at my father's or come back for the end service.
I think every year after Yom Kippur I say I'll go a bit more often to shul because I do like the prayers as much as I know and would love to "learn" more but somehow never get around to it.. Hope I do better this year! [maybe I should try and look for a good local shul]



meds. I need to start taking my meds on the first of October. Seems that with the HMOs here there is a quarterly top roof limit on payment of medicine for the chronically ill. Medicine for the chronically ill defined as medicine taken for more than one consecutive (or something like that) therefore fertility drugs are (mostly) included. In other words, if I have reached this maximum figure, I do not have to pay for anymore meds (that qualify) in that quarterly. Yes, crazy.. Well, guess when a new quarterly starts? Yes, on the first of October when I'm supposed to begin! And to make matters worse, it is not a working day so I will only be able to buy them the next day (and damn hope the pharmacy I go to have them!). It won't cover this cycle, but if I don't succeed it might help financially with the next and I think it will be silly to pass it. And CD21 is just an arbitrary number (and I am going the next day to purchase the meds). It of course depends if my meds are included and/or if those will be the meds I use for my next cycle (optimistic me says to insert here a comment...). Chances for both that yes!

* I remember a story in a school book back when I was a kid about a Rosh Hashana service in the synagogue and this simple boy who didn't know how to pray but wanted so much to pray to god so he then gave a loud whistle. The crowd murmmerd how awful and terrible but only the rabbi asked who was the one that opened the sky so god could hear our prayers. Only he could understand that a parayer is not just words uttered from a book and that now you have to say this or that. So this elderly woman was looking at me as Butterfly at this point wasn't sitting quietly until I had to take her out. Yes, instead of my daughter tasting a bit more of  this holy day we had to go out. [I doubt if we would have survived the whole service, but still..]

Other stuff.. this friend I went to, invited me to a rock concert. I haven't really been out since I had B (and not that before I was such a party girl..) so I'm quiet excited with the idea. I will ask the nanny and/or my mother to look after B, but I am really not sure how and what as I nurse B to sleep.


1 comment:

Little One said...

I don't fast either. My family is quite religious...my parents are in Israel now visiting my Hassidic brother and his 5 (soon to be 6) kids. It kind of felt weird not only not going to services but to not even spend the time with my parents. Wishing you and B a sweet (and sticky) new year.